How You Can Help Boston and West, Texas:
It has been a long and tragic week for many Americans. One week ago, at approximately 2:20 p.m., the Boston Marathon was rocked by two bombings that killed three and injured more than 180 runners and spectators. Only two days later, a fertilizer plant in West, Texas exploded, killing at least 15 and injuring approximately 160.
What can you do to help? Donate…but, watch out for scams. Unfortunately, even in the most dire of circumstances, there are still those looking to make a quick buck. So only contribute to established charities with a 501(c)(3) status, such as those listed below.
Support for Boston, Massachusetts and West, Texas:
- Limbs for Life: Text LIMBS to 20222 to make a $10 donation to “Limbs for Life” or go here.
- The Red Cross is collecting funds to support victims and first responders: Text REDCROSS to 90999 to make a $10 donation or go here.
- The Salvation Army is seeking financial contributions in order to support survivors and first responders for both tragedies: Boston Marathon Relief and West Explosion.
Boston, Massachusetts-specific charities:
- Boston Children’s Hospital has set up a “Marathon Program” and an “Emergency and Trauma Fund” for this and future incidents.
- Massachusetts General Hospital is accepting donations for emergency services.
- New England Patriots’ Kraft family will match up to $100,000 in donations made.
- The One Fund Boston has been set up, by Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick and Boston Mayor Tom Menino.
Abbie Elliot is a senior contributor for MCM and a writer for ‘Under the Tuscan Gun, part of “The Cooking Channel’s “Extra Virgin” with actress Debi Mazar (Entourage’s Shauna Roberts) and husband Gabriele Corcos. She has served as managing editor for ‘DC on Heels’, and has written professionally for organizations like The White House Commission on Remembrance and AOL/The Huffington Post. Follow her on twitter: @abbie_b_elliott or email email@example.com